In this content I am going to discuss about harmful aspects of internet and ways to get rid of Internet addiction. The Internet plays a very important role in keeping pace with the present age. The internet brought the whole world into our hands. From the beginning of our day to the end, the internet is involved in almost every field.
The disadvantages of using the internet
The use of the internet has made life as easy as emotionless. Excessive internet usage is taking away a lot of time from our lives. According to many scientists, it is one of the major causes of anxiety and depression. We are deprived of practical experience as a result of excess internet usage. The internet has enticed us into a trap that is complicated but not impossible.
Now I’ll introduce you to 5 people who have been able to overcome internet addiction:
- Jack Nap: Back in 2012, Google Venture’s former design partner, exceeded iPhone usage. He was so used to being unable to give his children time. Meanwhile, it is not possible to stop using the cellphone. Then he thinks he spends more time on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube apps. So, he deleted those apps without any thought. He didn’t open those apps for the next 6 years to test himself.
- Michelle Zappa: The founder of Anivinsing technology Michelle Zappa, chosen different ways to make himself aware of mobile phone addition. He started using the iPad mini instead of the iPhone. It has all the benefits of an iPhone, not just calls. Because of its size, he could not use it as easily as an iPhone. Whenever he took the iPad in his hand, he thought he was wasting his time. He stopped using it when it wasn’t needed. Later he stopped using the iPad started using the iPhone. However, the awareness of using it has increased.
- Sarah Lawrence: According to graphic designer Sarah Lawrence, the first step is to install apps like moment. Those apps remind users when using smartphones more than usual. It will show you how many times a day, you are using a smartphone. Sarah Lawrence runs a test on herself. In the first two weeks, she uses mobile as usual and in the next two weeks, he started using the mobile screen black and white. She found that the use of a mobile phone was reduced by keeping the screen black and white.
- Yoni Rechtman: This famous investor named Yoni Rakhtman has left his cellphone in another room before entering a room following the advice of a therapist. The main purpose was to stay away from the cellphone. The first was for 20 minutes and then his therapist asked to add some time. Yoni said, “I couldn’t fully recover from this task but I’m better than ever.”
- John Converse Townsend: John Converse Townsend, the social media manager of Fast company, deleted the Instagram app from his phone for a few weeks. He also stated airplane mode on his phone every night. He doesn’t forget to turn airplane mode yet. This makes his sleep disturbance.
Some common ways to get rid of Internet addiction
Willpower is very important for all tasks. To get rid of Internet addiction, you must first prepare yourself mentally.
Below are some tips that will help you a bit to get rid of Internet addiction:
- Avoid unnecessary notification: Turn off notifications for unnecessary. Because notifications increases the interest of the internet.
- Do detox regularly: Avoid keeping a phone close to yourself at all times. Try not to touch the phone on weekends to get good results.
- Select a specific time: You should select a specific time to use devices. Through social media, we waste a lot of time in the day. In this case, designate a specific time of day to receive instant email or instant message from any media. Except at certain times, you will not do any kind of scrolling or checking on social media. Also try to delete them from your phone through social contracts like Face, Instagram. Use those apps only from one computer. This process will save you time.
- Keep autoplay off: After watching a video on YouTube or Vimeo or Netflix, the next video is turned on automatically. They disrupt our work. So, turn off the autoplay option on all those apps.
- Use the alarm clock: According to information from a company called Human Technologies Center, a smartphone should never be placed in bed. Smartphone disrupts uninterrupted sleep. The blue light emitted from the phone hinders our body’s way of releasing melatonin.
The role of the internet in keeping pace with current times is unacceptable. The internet has made it much easier. It is no possible to stop using the internet at all. However, it can be reduced to some extent with strong willpower. Using the internet within certain rules can help us stay physically and mentally happy. Without any kind of touching technology, we can spend some time with family and friends. Which helps to strengthen the relationship. Strong morale can free us from Internet addiction. So, firstly you have to be mentally prepared. First of all, you may have some troubles but with the day you get used to getting out of Internet addiction, which will align with your regular life.
Download PDF: How to Avoid Negative Effects of Internet